The Shetland Islands are situated in the North Sea between Scotland and Norway. Originally settled by Norwegian farmers and the Vikings in the 9th century, the old music of the Shetlands displays the islands’ Nordic lineage. While many associate the Shetland and Orkney Islands with Scotland and the Celtic culture, the music of this project reveals the real depth of its Norse heritage.
- Aly Bain is one of the best-known fiddlers in the Celtic tradition as a founding member of Boys of the Lough. Born in Shetland, he has played and recorded
with the Boys for over 30 years.
- Ale Möller, from Sweden, is a leader in the Nordic roots revival. Master of many instruments, he is an important element in the music of Frifot and the Nordan Project.
This long awaited Aly/Ale release from NorthSide was inspired by a surprise performance at Nordic Roots Festival 2000. Fully Rigged is where two traditional music virtuosos named Aly/e collide together and knock your socks off with their mastery of instruments and tunes, bringing Celtic and Nordic musics together for an exciting voyage.
- The Full Rigged Ship / The New Rigged Ship
- Da Day Dawn / The Jos Mill Tune / Da Aald Foula Reel / Winyadepla
- Da Trowie Burn
- Tame Her When Da Sna Come / Da Dykes O’Voe / Sailor O’er Da Rough Trees
- The Unst Bridal March / Maggie O’Ham / Da Foula Reel
- Björnvalser från Skåne [Bear Waltz from Skåne]
- Bonaparte’s Retreat
- Da Bride’s a Bonnie Ting
- Hallingar från Dalsland [Hallings from Dalsland] / Da Bonnie Isle O’Whalsay / Da Fashion O’Da Delting Lassies
- Jims Vals [Jim’s Waltz]
- Da Silver Bow / Marsh från Fryksdalen [March from Fryksdalen]
- Hangman’s Reel
- Papa Stour Sword Dance / Svardsdans Polska [Sword Dance Polska]
- The Great Silkie of Sule Skerry